Saturday, May 16, 2009

Publishing our Blogs through Kindle?

I don't know if any of you have seen this; I just heard about it today.

According to this CBC Tech Bytes article, you're now supposed to be able to register your blog with Amazon, and people can subscribe to the blog for a dollar or two per month, and get entries sent to their Kindle each day. And you get 30% of whatever comes in.

Here's the Kindle Publishing site, to register and log in.

I can't really imagine very many people wanting to subscribe to my blog this way. I suppose you never know. But it's an interesting thing, and I thought I'd mention it in case any of you might want to give it a try.

The article does mention that other people can actually register your blog, and they would then get the money. The writer isn't sure if Amazon really polices the process, or just waits for the blogger to notice and complain before it does anything.

But if there's that flaw, it might be worth registering our blogs even if we don't expect anything from it -- just to make sure nobody else can then register them.

6 comments:

Laura May 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

What an interesting concept. I'm not very well acquainted with what all a Kindle can do, but if it can access the internet already, then why would a person need to pay to read blogs they can surf for free? I may just be missing something though.

*lynne* May 17, 2009 at 3:57 AM  

That's interesting... but unless we've got a gazillion subscribers I wonder how worth it this would be?

flit May 17, 2009 at 7:47 AM  

That would be a pretty big flaw!

You would think that a company with that many resources would be able to ensure ownership of a site... lots of ways to do it, afterall; it's not rocket science

Phyl May 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

I think the concept is the same as for people who subscribe to newspapers and have them delivered to their iPhone or Kindle when they're not right at their computers. For some reason, people pay for that too, even though they have the ability (at least on the iPhone and other similar devices) just to access the internet. Maybe the convenience, or something?

I started registering, then realized they want my bank info. And after their superb management of their own database with the Amazonfail thing a few weeks ago, I'm not ready to trust them with important information like that.

I still don't like the idea that someone else could register my blog, though. *sigh*

flit May 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

I just read the article and am disgusted by that aspect of it!

So easy to verify ownership - we do it all the time with blog catalog and adsense and all of those... all they would have to do is give you a widget to add to the blog - if you can't do it, the blog isn't yours and that's the end of it.

Whoever came up with this plan is an idjit and should go work for Today.com

Joanne Olivieri May 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

You never know, Today.com might be behind the whole thing. I read it as well and it seems a little strange.

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations