Saturday, April 25, 2009

SEO Optimization stuff

I know there are others here who have much better knowledge about SEO Optimization, but I thought I'd post a couple of things I found as I was doing some reading today. I'm asking my own webmaster for some recommendations as well, so I may have more dribs and drabs to augment what others say. I'm wondering if we should make a separate page, in fact, with SEO tips.

SEO Checklist


This is just a simple checklist page, but it lists things to watch that would have either positive or negative influence on our blogs' Google ranking. The links to other topics, within these charts, are really useful too. But I really like the at-a-glance look of these charts.

Bad Links

This is one of the big things to watch out for, apparently. If something you linked to five months ago turns into a "bad link" (either ceases to exist or gets bought up and turned into an unsavoury site), it seems our blog rankings could go down even though that change had nothing to do with us. And it would be hard to recover our ranking, even if we corrected the situation.

This means we're supposed to check all our links periodically. Which may be a bit of a pain, but is obviously worth doing.

However! It doesn't have to be quite as onerous as it might have been. There's a place that can automatically check our sites, at least for broken links.

Dead Link check site

I used to know of one that I used regularly, but it seems to be gone now. However, the SEO site above recommends one at Dead-Links.com. You just put your own URL into the box, and it checks all your links and posts a report for you.

This is what I got from a quick read. I'm looking forward to seeing other good info from others too.

8 comments:

Phyl April 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

And by the way -- I was practising a bit of the stuff in that post. Apparently using bolding is one of the tips, and having headings like this post has. Kind of fun.

Valerie David April 26, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

I always forget to do the bolding bit...I was doing it regularly and then just brain froze or something. :P

Thanks for the tips and helpful sites. I never thought about the bad links problem; that's definitely something to remember!

flit April 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

I love the idea of an SEO page... thanks for volunteering to put one together for us, Phyl :)

In Plain English April 26, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

How do you get rid of bad links?

Phyl April 26, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Hee! Well, I would set up a page for it here if I had access to those settings, but I don't, unfortunately. Someone with access to those settings will have to create the page, and copy any SEO stuff people contribute and paste it in there.

I could create a page like that on my own blog, and copy everything posted here into that one. But it would be much less central for everyone.

In Plain English, the only thing you can do with bad links is go back into the posts they occur in, and delete them. Or change the link to point somewhere else to get the same information.

flit April 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

or I could just give you the access if you wanted it

Phyl April 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Indeed, there is that. I wouldn't mind at all if you don't mind. :-)

Stephanie April 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Not anything to do with SEO but I gave you all an award over at the new From Huskies to Husbands! Come check it out if you like :)

Post a Comment

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations